Sparrow Health System
Positions Location: Lansing, MI
General Purpose of Job:
In collaboration with the Department Manager, the Assistant Department Manager is responsible for unit operations. Participates in action plan and initiatives for associate engagement, physician alignment, and patient satisfaction. Promotes the delivery of safe, quality care according to current evidence based standards of practice. Promotes and supports shared decision making. Assists in managing unit resources including scheduling of staff and provision of necessary equipment and tools. Participates in monitoring, maintaining and improving nursing sensitive indicators, core measures, and other identified outcome measures.
This job description is intended to cover the minimum essential duties assigned on a regular basis. Associates may be asked to perform additional duties as assigned by their leader. Leadership has the right to alter or modify the duties of the position.
- Empowered to serve as a leader within level of authority.
- Promotes/supports shared decision making by empowering associates through delegation of clear responsibility, authority, and holding them accountable.
- Assists in recruitment, selection, and retention of personnel.
- Assists in ensuring compliance with Hospital State, Federal and accreditation regulations in reference to patient care and the physical environment
- Assists in communicating shared vision, mission, and values with department which motivates others to achieve strategic goals*
- Assists in ensuring appropriate staffing and scheduling of associates according to guidelines.
- Monitors and maintains accountability for budget in defined area of responsibility.
- Responsible for outcomes i.e. nursing sensitive indicators, core measures, HCAHPS, patient satisfaction, and associate satisfaction.
- Participates in the development, implementation, and evaluation of action plans for continuous performance improvement.
- Provides a safe environment through the utilization of best practices for patient, family, and all other caregivers.
- May function as charge nurse and/or assume patient care when necessary
- Supports a learning environment that is open and respectful, and promotes evidence based practice.
- Supports appropriate orientation, education, credentialing, and continued professional development of associates.
- Monitors Associate performance, providing coaching, recognition, counselling and avenues for improvement as needed.
- Develops and maintains a professional relationship with members of the health care team, the patient and the patient’s family
- Maintains a safe work environment that minimizes work related illness and injury.
|General Requirements||Current State of Michigan license as a Registered Nurse Basic Life Support (BLS) Professional certification appropriate to practice preferred|
|Work Experience||Minimum two years current clinical experience appropriate to specialty|
|Education||Bachelors degree in nursing. Masters degree in nursing preferred|
|Specialized Knowledge and Skills||Clinical knowledge and critical thinking skills necessary to manage nursing unit. Interpersonal skills for effective communication. Computer literate. Accountable for professional development and maintenance of competencies Excellent attendance|
Sparrow Health System is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: